Sunday, March 8, 2026

Microfiction challenge #7: Historical fiction, horizon, opening a window

  Open the window, Vladimir.

It’s cold.

Please.

He rolled it down an inch. Laika thrust her nose at the gap, whole body wagging.

It won’t be painful. And it will be quick.

Quick? Seven days? And barely able to move?

Vladimir reached for Irina’s right hand. She curled it into a fist and jammed it against her mouth to keep from punching him.

---

How long was Laika able to view the thin blue horizon as Sputnik-2 orbited the earth? Not nearly as long as planned. But Vladimir didn’t tell Irina that. Let her swallow the Party's more palatable propaganda.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/sad-story-laika-space-dog-and-her-one-way-trip-orbit-1-180968728/

7 comments:

  1. Oh, what a fantastic perspective on this (rough) story. Heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I think about poor Laika, I remember the glorious movie "My Life As A Dog." Do you know this movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do now, and I just reserved it from the library (yes, I still have a DVD player; in fact, I still have a VCR, gasp!).

      Delete
    2. I hope you enjoy it. Back in the dark ages, when theaters only played one movie at a time, "My Life As A Dog" stayed for weeks in Washington, DC, making quite a splash for a very small foreign film. Lasse Hallstrom went on to direct huge movies but always managed to have a really sweet human core in them.

      Delete
    3. I too, think about My Life as a Dog when I think about Laika, Kim. And Dean and I saw that movie at a theater in DC!

      Delete
  3. I think I knew this - but now I'm going to have to go to your link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't ready for this! That story always makes me sad. I agree with Kate, interesting perspective though!

    ReplyDelete

Microfiction challenge #12: Creation myth, dust, laughing

The next generation The dark, frozen wasteland stretched for 250 years. In year 251, a faintly remembered breeze stirred the clouds of rad...