Saturday, January 17, 2026

Microfiction challenge #2: Romance, merit, assembling furniture

“Hi, I’m Libby, the dancing queen!”

Matt stared, bewildered.

“From ABBA.” She pointed to a truck emblazoned with Assemble BaBy Assemble!

He laughed. “Come in.”

“You need help with a desk?”

“Correct. I was born without opposable thumbs.”

It was Libby’s turn to stare.

“Kidding. But pictograms and Allen keys are my nemesis.”

---

Twenty minutes later, Libby peered over Matt’s shoulder.  


















“I assemble words too.”

“Then I gratefully accept more help.”

“T-E-M-E-R-I-T-Y."

“You’re brilliant!” Matt turned, smiling.

“Anything else I can assist with?”

“I lack the temerity to ask women out. Could you help with that?”

Libby grinned. “With pleasure.”

4 comments:

  1. I hope Libby and Matt live happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that we both mentioned both furniture and words! Though your use of merit was masterful.

    ReplyDelete

Microfiction challenge #12: Creation myth, dust, laughing

The next generation The dark, frozen wasteland stretched for 250 years. In year 251, a faintly remembered breeze stirred the clouds of rad...