Libby and Beatrice dodged rocks and tree roots, giggling as their pantaloons ballooned around their legs. They slowed as they approached the expanse of Pteridium aquilinum, a hoary quietude devoid of birdsong and beech-leaf rustle.
The hush shattered. Music, maybe, but unlike any from a
piano or dulcimer. The ferns backbended as the girls crept towards the source. Libby
crouched and picked up a flat object. Letters glowing like fireflies spelled
out “Missed call.” And beneath, “August 17, 2:27.” Libby checked
the pocket watch attached to her bodice and turned the face towards Beatrice.
2:27.
The object went dark.
*Despite my best investigative efforts, I am still not entirely sure what steampunk is.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWell done for being a steampunk newbie! I went through a steampunk season when I discovered Pullman's Golden Compass books. That led me to a slew of YA books featuring alternative Victorian ages. I then realized that silly things from my youth, like the TV show "Wild, Wild West," was steampunk.
ReplyDeleteOooh, I liked that!
ReplyDeleteI took a cheat's interpretation of steampunk. You were more ambitious.